In life’s journey, there are moments when challenges seem impossible, and the weight of the world threatens to crush us. During these times, Psalm 124:1-2 resonates deeply. David says, “If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, let Israel now say if it had not been the Lord who was on our side when people rose up against us.”
Reflecting on this powerful scripture, I am reminded of countless instances in my life where I could have easily given up if it were not for the unwavering presence of the Lord. Our faith is tested and challenged during life’s storms, but realizing the Lord is on our side brings strength and encouragement.
Unseen Battles: Often, we face battles that are not visible to the naked eye—internal struggles, doubts, and fears that threaten to consume us. In those moments, the Lord fights on our behalf, shielding us from the arrows of despair and strengthening our hearts with divine courage. Ephesians 6:12 says, “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
Divine Interventions: Looking back, I can pinpoint moments in my life where circumstances seemed dire, and all hope appeared lost. However, in those moments, the hand of the Lord intervened, turning situations around in ways I could not have anticipated. These interventions serve as reminders that, even when the road ahead seems dark, the Lord is working behind the scenes for our good. Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Purpose in Adversity: The challenges we face are not without purpose. When it feels like giving up is the only option, the Lord, in His infinite wisdom, uses adversity to mold us, refine our character, and lead us into the fullness of His purpose for our lives. Romans 8:28 says, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
Strength in Weakness: In our moments of weakness, the Lord’s strength shines through. We find the fortitude to press on through reliance on His grace, even when the path seems daunting. God might not remove the pain in our lives but will be with us as we go through the pain; he will give His joy and perseverance. When Paul prayed to God to remove what he terms a thorn in the flesh (2 Corinthians 12:9), God responded, “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.
The Lord has brought you and me this far, and we know we could have easily given up if the Lord had not been by our side. Acknowledging this truth, we find the strength to endure and the assurance that the God who holds the universe in His hands is intimately involved in the details of our lives. As we navigate the challenges ahead, may we echo the Psalmist’s words with conviction: “Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth” (Psalm 124:8).
Scripture contains numerous examples of individuals who experienced God fighting their battles. God was on their side:
- David against Goliath (1 Samuel 17): When the young shepherd David faced the giant Goliath, he trusted in God’s strength. Armed with faith and a sling, David defeated Goliath, showcasing that victory comes through reliance on God.
- Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt (Exodus 3-14): God chose Moses to lead the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt. Despite numerous challenges, including confronting Pharaoh and navigating the Red Sea, God was with Moses, performing miracles and ensuring the deliverance of His people.
- Esther facing Haman’s plot (Book of Esther): Queen Esther faced the threat of genocide against her people, which Haman had orchestrated. With God’s guidance, Esther intervened and thwarted the evil plot, saving the Jewish people.
- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace (Daniel 3): These three young men refused to bow to King Nebuchadnezzar’s golden statue. As a result, they were thrown into a fiery furnace. However, God was with them, and they emerged unharmed, demonstrating God’s protection in the face of adversity.
- Daniel in the lion’s den (Daniel 6): Daniel faced opposition for his unwavering devotion to God. He was accused of violating the king’s decree and thrown into a lion’s den. God shut the mouths of the lions, and Daniel emerged unscathed, showcasing divine protection.
- Joshua leading the Israelites into the Promised Land (Book of Joshua): After the death of Moses, Joshua was tasked with leading the Israelites into the Promised Land. God assured him of His presence and guidance, and through miraculous events, such as the crossing of the Jordan River and the fall of Jericho, God demonstrated His faithfulness.
- Paul and Silas in prison (Acts 16:16-40): While imprisoned in Philippi for their faith, Paul and Silas prayed and sang hymns to God. In response, God caused an earthquake that opened the prison doors. As a result, the jailer and his household came to faith in God.
These biblical stories illustrate that when individuals faced challenges with faith, obedience, and trust in God, He provided guidance, protection, and miraculous interventions. May these biblical examples inspire you to lean on God during times of difficulty and uncertainty.
Isabella Mwango Nyakundi
CEO/Founder Vessel For Honor Ministries.